Sunday, November 9, 2008

Today I bought a Mac Air

I've been looking at them a long time. I love Macs, my existing laptop is 5 years old, and I travel, so that 3 lbs looks very good. But I've given up acting on impulse so I waited, watched the problems, figured I'd better get one before I go overseas again.

Also, during the election campaign, I gave all my extra money to Democratic senators, knowing that Obama would need them. I sent some to him, too, but I knew he was okay money-wise, so I focused on the senators.

And though I often found myself staring longingly at the Mac Air, I just didn't feel the enthusiasm that would prompt the impulse to reach for my credit card.

Finally, a few months ago, I decided that if Obama got elected, I would buy a Mac Air. I don't think he's going to be able to have much effect on this economy in the short run, but I wanted the message to go out, in my own little one-vote way, that confidence is up and somebody's buying. The most expensive one was reduced by a huge amount, and is almost the same price as the low-end one so I got that, hoping the big reduction doesn't point to some flaw.

But the hell with caution. It's time to act. This is not the first recession I've been through (I was born during the Big One) and when I see one coming, I stock up on sheets and towels and buy one important thing I might not be able to afford for a few years with which to entertain myself until times get easy again.

This year it's the Mac Air. And I'm feeling nice about it. Tekserv, a good outfit and good to me over the years, will send it in the morning. Wish me luck.

My own private Christmas. Hope I don't have any problems, you know, new computers and all that, but it's the same operating system as my iMac desktop so maybe everything will be okay.

2 comments:

Susan Kuhn Frost said...

What I like so much about this post is that you are taking care of the psychological as well as financial needs we have around money. Having one good thing, esp something as cool as a new Mac ibook, makes the frugality that we all are moving into much more palatable.

JohnW said...

I love this idea Barbara! I too would love a MacBook Air but I'm not sure if we have any similar great signs of hope on the horizon here in the UK...